Monday, March 18, 2013

Criterion Collection: Stagecoach

This is the movie that launched the long collaboration between director John Ford and actor John Wayne. Wayne would go on to appear in 24 Ford films over his career including The Searchers and The Man who Shot Liberty Valance. Stagecoach pushed Wayne to stardom and helped elevate the western movie genre from B-list to A-list. 

Stagecoach tells the story of a group of people on a stagecoach going through dangerous country during an Apache uprising. The fear of the characters is palpable whenever someone mentions the name of the legendary Apache chief, Geronimo. The stagecoach riders all have different reasons for taking the dangerous ride but have to work together in order to survive. The movie is tense while still being lighthearted at times.

I've had fun this year discovering how much I like John Wayne. Over the past few months I've seen eight or nine John Wayne films, all of them westerns and most of them directed by John Ford.

The Duke of Awesome
I enjoyed the movie. I was excited and entertained throughout the whole film. Sam, however, thought it was a little slow and when I told my brother-in-law we watched he made a derogatory noise. I guess he isn't a fan. While I don't think Stagecoach is the best western movie I've ever seen I can understand why it is important enough to be included in the collection. It launched the career of an American icon and helped future filmmakers produce A-list westerns.

Over his career John Ford's films would earn 13 Academy Award nominations and win seven.  Ford himself won four Oscars for best director, including one for Stagecoach. John Wayne would win one Oscar for best actor for his role in True Grit.

If you want some suggestions for great John Wayne westerns try The Searchers, Red River or Hondo. For something a little lighter try my mom's favorite, McLintock which also stars my wife's favorite actress, Maureen O'Hara. O'Hara and Wayne made five films together including another of my wife's favorites, The Quiet Man, which was directed by John Ford. See, everything is connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment